The Association was founded from the need to preserve the historical record of Irish athletes in a permanent way and to encourage interest in this endeavour.
Objectives of the Association
- To preserve the athletics history of Ireland.
- To provide a means of collating available information (documents, visual images, memorabilia, statistics) and indentifying missing information.
- To act as a focus to stimulate interests in the history of athletics in Ireland.
- To provide means by which documentation relating to the history of athletics in Ireland may be made available to a wide section of the public and those seeking specfic information for scholarly or historical purposes.
Activities of the Association
- Preparation of a register of interested persons and their interests.
- Preparation of a register of sources of information on the history of athletics in Ireland (minute books, results, photographs, videos, films, articles, publications, books, programmes, letters, medals, etc.)
- Organisation of regular meetings of the Association to promote interest in and dissemination of information about the history of athletics in Ireland.
- Establishment of contacts with persons in foreign countires who are interested in the history of Irish athletics.
- Publication of catalogues of sources of historical information.
- Publication of a booklet annually recording for posterity, the presentations made at meetings of the Association and invited contributions.
- Identification of repositories to ensure the safe keeping and preservation of historical records of athletes in Ireland.
Please download our application form here.